Art
Since the 20th century, the visual arts have found rich expression at Engelberg Monastery through the work of outstanding artists.
Brother Xaver Ruckstuhl (1911–1979) became well known for his sculptures and innovative church designs around the time of the Second Vatican Council.
On guided tours, visitors can admire the intricate wood inlay work of Brother Columban Louis (1887–1966).
Father Karl Stadler (1921–2012) gained recognition for his painting and photography, enriching numerous churches and monasteries across Switzerland with his wall paintings and stained-glass windows.
Still active today, *Father Eugen Bollin (1939) is celebrated in the contemporary Swiss art world for his modern drawings and paintings, created daily in his atelier.
The Largest Church Organ in Switzerland
On the west gallery of the monastery church stands the largest organ in Switzerland, with 9,097 pipes and 137 stops, distributed across four manuals and the pedal.
The original instrument was completed in 1877 by Lucerne organ builder Friedrich Goll (1839–1911). Expanded in 1924–1926 by Karl Goll (1876–1967) using the original pipe material, it became a new pneumatic organ. After the inaugural concert, the famous French organist Marcel Dupré (1886–1971) praised it highly.
In 1992/93, the Graf organ builders carried out a comprehensive renovation, adding two mixture stops to the pedal. For technical optimization, the old console was replaced by a new one with electric action and registration.
The monastery church also houses a second, smaller organ, integrated into the choir stalls. Originally built in 1735 by Hans Josef Anderhalden (1694–1746) with 13 stops, it was the very instrument on which Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809–1847) played during his visit to Engelberg in 1831.
In 1902, Friedrich Goll replaced it with a pneumatic organ. Preserving the historical pipework, the Kuhn organ builders (Männedorf, Zurich) created a new mechanical organ in 2007, integrated into the baroque case. The result is a true “sound monument” with 26 stops, which perfectly complements the monumental Great Organ in daily liturgical use.
Book of the Engelberg Monastery's Professed
828 names are listed in the Engelberg Professed Book (Book of Votarists). Historian Annina Sandmeier-Walt and Abbey archivist Rolf De Kegel are responsible for this extensive work. In their research, they were able in part to draw on the preliminary work of Brother Meinrad Haberl, Father Gall Heer and other previous listings.
Abbey library
The Abbey Archive of the Benedictine monastery of Engelberg preserves the history of the monastery and the valley. It houses the documents and records of the former monastic state (up to 1798), records of the monastic community, the Cameroon mission archive, the parish archive and various collections. The monastery archive of the Benedictine monastery of Engelberg is one of the very few monastery archives in Switzerland where, despite catastrophic fires, the collection of writings has been almost completely preserved. In addition to manuscripts from the time of Abbot Frowin, the archive also houses important incunabula.
Music
When we think of monastic music, we first think of sacred works. It is a little known fact that the Benedictine monastery of Engelberg has always cultivated a wide variety of musical creations. Even before the 19th century, monastery students performed operas. Musicians from the Benedictine monastery who were known beyond the high valley of Engelberg were:
- •Father Emanuel Bucher (1896 - 1975)
- •Father Norbert Hegner (1913 - 1995)
- •Father Roman Hofer (1942 - 2011)
Music library
The music library, which is separate from the monastery library, collects and preserves the music of the Benedictine monastery of Engelberg. The holdings from the time after the monastery fire of 1729 are particularly comprehensive.
The oldest existing works by conventuals are the compositions of Fathers Benedikt Deuring (1690-1768) and Wolfgang Iten (1712-1769). After that, the convent's own compositions extend up to the present day.
The music library is accessible for research work by appointment.
Abbey choir
The Engelberg Abbey Choir looks back on a centuries-old tradition. The choir's primary task is to organize church services. The Engelberg monks and their pupils have been singing in the choir since the monastery was founded in 1120. Today, monks, pupils from the monastery school and singing enthusiasts from Engelberg and the surrounding area create a wide variety of musical works. The annual Christmas concert is a highlight of choir life. Time and again, the Stiftschor realizes projects for which external support from guest singers is required. The choir performs well-known and lesser known works, old and modern music, world-famous pieces and trouvailles from the monastery's music library.
Father Bonaventura Thürlemann
The inventor and sundial maker Father Bonaventura Thürlemann exemplifies the achievements of generations of monks who worked at the Benedictine monastery in Engelberg. Retired mathematics professor Louis-Sepp Willimann, who lives in Engelberg, has been studying the sundials made by his former teacher for years. In honor of Father Bonaventura, he has compiled his works and made them available to the Benedictine monastery in Engelberg.
Supporting the monastery
We are dependent on support – both financial and non-material – so that we can continue to fulfill our diverse tasks.